We've known since September 2018 when my genetic testing came back that I hold a BRIP 1 mutation. This means that I have a higher likelihood than most women to develop ovarian cancer. It increases my risk by 20%...so not huge but enough to make you have that thought in the back of your head...especially when you've already had breast cancer.
So, when this was first presented to me, my doctor had explained that I would need to have my ovaries removed around or just after I turned 40. I talked with my OB/Gyn at my last November and we talked about having a hysterectomy over the summer. I was 100% on board with this and was ready to move forward.
Then this week we met with my oncologist. She is very concerned with the thought of me having a hysterectomy. Chemotherapy wipes out all estrogen and progesterone and my levels are still, one year later, not back up to normal. Taking my ovary (I only have 1) would send my body in to a tailspin and create such a hard menopause that she would be concerned for my physical and mental health. So, after talking to the Gynecological Oncologist we decided to wait a few more years. During those years we will check my CA 125 (ovarian cancer markers) levels every 6 months, along with a pelvic ultrasound every 6 months. Michael and I felt 100% confident in this plan.
After this appointment we went for my 3 month blood work. My doctor went ahead and tested my CA 125 levels during this blood screening.
I got my results back on Thursday night. Usually if test results get pushed through I don't worry because, if there is something concerning they call before they push them through. So...when I saw something strange on my results I was a little worried but thought - if this was of great concern, they would have called me. They called me today to go over these results. A "normal" range is anything under 35 U/ml and when you research some sights such as the mayo clinic say that anything under 45 U/ml is normal. My test results came back saying my levels were at 47 U/ml...slightly elevated. There are several things besides cancer that could cause this elevation...So! We are going to rerun the test in 1 month, do an ultrasound, and meet with the gynecological oncologist...all of this a day or 2 before we head out on our "We Beat Cancer" trip!!!
Am I worried? That is such a weird question and so hard to answer. I fully know that God's plan is so much bigger and greater than my plans. I also know that He told me very clearly that I have Already Won this battle. IF this is a path I am walking again - Praise the Lord I know what to expect! I am not going in blind. But, I truly feel like this is going to be NOTHING. I believe that in March we are going to be blown away by the amount of nothing this is.
Thank you for praying for us, for walking this path with us, for being an encouragement to our family each step of the way.
Park City Utah
4 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment